Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Decision to "Go Green"

Believe it or not, my inspiration came from watching T.V. I was watching the show "Jon and Kate plus 8", about a family with twins and sextuplets. They were going to an organic farm to buy "half a cow". Now, they have 8 kids, 6 of which are 2 years old. Around 80% of the food they eat is organic, and I thought to myself, if a mother of 8 can make the effort to be healthy and organic, so can I. So I began researching Organic farms in my area. I found a couple organic delivery farms, and decided to try those out. Now, organic farms are very mindful of the environment, so there is a lot of mention about packaging and recycling, and reducing waste, etc. So I began MORE research on recycling. And then I realized that I am a huge garbage dump and am contributing the equivalent of a small town to our poor Earth's growing trash, pollution, and waste problems. I right then and there made a pact to myself, that included my husband (poor guy never had a choice), to "Go Green", and make 1 change per week to reduce my mammoth environmental footprint. I have subjected my husband to many a tip, fact, myth, and informational tidbit regarding becoming environmentally friendly, and have forged ahead, hell bent on becoming a little bit more green each week.

No comments: