Monday, August 4, 2008

Week 2- Cleaning Green

Step 2 in our "Going Green" transformation includes tossing all the nasty toxic cleaning products that have clogged our under-sink cabinets. Okay, "tossing" items isn't necessarily "green". The best thing to do would be to use up what you have, and then start fresh with more natural cleaning products. Which is what my husband wanted to do. However, does anyone else have 5 different products to clean upholstry? Try having a dog that likes to pee on the couch- you try different ones until you find one that works. And really, when it comes to dog pee, nothing REALLY works. SO- do I hold on to the 5 different products? And what about the 1/2 full bottles of "goo be gone" and numerous lysol products? Since the Hazardous Waste Disposal site is only 5 minutes from my house (and my husband was away at a golf tournament) , I decided to head on over there- short lines, proper disposal of the contents and recycling of the bottles (and open each Saturday from 8am-5pm; check local HWD sites in your area). Plus they gave me "paint hardener"- you mix it in with leftover paint, it hardens, and you can throw it out with the regular trash.
I have now stocked up on Method and Murray's natural household cleaners. They are not the super duper bacteria killing cleaners. But they smell good and everything looks just as clean. No hint of chemical smell. And the super duper bacteria killers create more super duper bacteria b/c they adapt to the cleaners and get stronger. If you wash thoroughly, you will be safe and everything will be clean. And I did save a couple of the very full bottles, and told my husband that I am not hanging out cleaning in the bathroom with all the fumes from the noxious chemical tub cleaners (the cartoon bubble LOOK friendly). He said it didn't matter b/c I never hung out cleaning the bathroom anyways. Okay, good point.

No comments: